G.O.A.T.z KIDz Day, April 12, 2014
Volunteers led the group of 46 children, 42 adults, and 3 dogs to the trail head behind the North Star building, to the west side of the Lake Zorinsky. The distance options were 1.5, 2.0, or 2.5 miles of single track, showcasing all types of terrain. Confusion quickly ensued as trails looped and crossed repeatedly, and G.O.A.T.z of all sizes moved in every direction. It was a small-scale model of what actually happens in real life, and nobody seemed to panic. The idea was simple, stick with your adult and you’d be safe!
The reason for creating such an event arose from the responses to two questions:
- What is it about trail running that allows us to feel like kids again?
- Do kids today get enough opportunities to experience those feelings?
With the help of many caring parents, we brought something special to life; something we hope will continue in a positive direction for years to come.
Children will learn and follow their parents, so we set the foundation by teaching them the basics. Among the most important things about the sport is learning to appreciate nature and build confidence in oneself. Here is a short list of things we would like to contribute to the G.O.A.T.z of the future as they grow and develop:
- Stay close to your parent or running partners
- Stay to the right. Pass on the left
- Let faster-moving people pass
- Respect the trails
- Do not litter
- Respect wildlife
- Pay attention to roots, sticks, logs, holes, rocks, and branches at eye level
- Warn others about hazards
- When you fall, protect your head and face
- It’s okay to walk or hike, especially when moving uphill
- There is no such thing as bad weather, just poor choices
- Bring water, pack snacks and rain gear
- If you love something or someone, check it for ticks
- A little dirt won’t hurt
- Go at your happy pace and enjoy the journey
Future KIDz Trail Outings:
- Saturday, May 17 from 3:00-4:00 pm at Lake Manawa in Council Bluffs, IA.
- Saturday, May 31 following G.O.A.T.z trail work at Lake Cunningham in Omaha. Time TBA
KIDz Day Slideshow
Schramm Park Trail Day, April 19, 2014
The Omaha World-Herald was kind enough to cover our efforts. Read more about the day here
Upcoming G.O.A.T.z Trail Day: Saturday, May 31, 9:00 a.m. at Lake Cunningham. KIDz Trail Outing to follow